The following information about Buries
Markes Ltd was kindly contributed by a visitor to the web
site. Until such time that this brief history can be expanded
it is hoped that visitors interested in Buries Markes will
derive some benefit from this page.
Buries Markes Ltd was founded in 1930, managing between 1932
and 1934 its first vessel, the CEDRUS (bought second hand).
This chartering company situated in the heart of the London
shipping market was acquired by L-D in 1938 ordering the company's
first new vessel, the diesel powered LA PAMPA, at the Gothenburg,
yard where l-d had already launched its first two modern Procacci
The Hispanic name for this vessel symbolizes via B.M. L-D's
recognition towards the Saceif, its Buenos Aires cereal subsidiary
which financed the vessel. A strong recognition indeed, since
up to this day all B.M. vessels carry Argentinean names.
At the beginning of the second
world war, in 1940 William Doxford delivers to B.M. Two bulkers
of 9.300 t dwt which will both be sunk: LA ESTANCIA in 1940
and LA CORDILLERA in 1942.
Two Canadian built vessels
" Fort " type are attributed to B.M. by the Ministry
of War Transport (MWT) in compensation of tonnage lost.
At the end of the war B.M.
has only the LA PAMPA to which is added in 1947 a new William
Doxford vessel, LA CORDILLERA which was able to accommodate
In 1947 B.M. Buys an American
1944 built vessel, the Cape Ducato renamed the LA ESTANCIA,
which becomes the U.K. Flagged MONTCALM of Montship in 1951.
1948: -the Empire Mac Dermott,
which was used for the transportation of aircraft from 1944
is converted to a cargo carrier and renamed LA CUMBRE.
In 1951 the Fort Spokane was
purchased to become LA ORILLA, then another 1940 built vessel
which becomes the LA ESTANCIA, then the Mardene, built 1947
which becomes LA QUINTA and finally the Empire Envoy of 1942
renamed LA ORILLA.
In 1953 a new set of vessels
joins the fleet: -firstly a liberty ship which is renamed
LA LOMA and two new fast 10.000 t dwt vessels, LA HACIENDA
and LA CHACRA.
A period of close co-operation
with L-D France commences with French flag vessels in the
L-D fleet being transferred to BM and placed under U.K. Flag.
Also new vessels built in pairs in French yards are delivered
to the two fleets.
In 1954 the PHILIPPE LD (1951),
JEAN LD (1935), LOUIS LD (1936), become respectively LA ENSENADA,
LA LAGUNA, LA QUINTA.
LA ORILLA, a new vessel enters
the fleet in 1955, then a 1940 built Doxford which is renamed
A new vessel built at St Nazaire
with engine aft, LA PRADERA, is launched in 1956 similar to
the JEAN LD and LOUIS LD.
In 1957, an old Doxford type
of 1940 becomes the LA BAHIA and a Sunderland type of 1943,
In 1958 two sister vessels
are built at the Chantiers de Normandie for the Biscore contract
with shallow draft for the English ports: the PHILIPPE LD
and LA COLINA.
LA SELVA, a shelter car deck
vessel of 13.000 t dwt is built in Spain in 1958.
LA FALDA also 1958 built is
next, initially with Montship then passed to BM in the same
year. Follow LA MAREA in 1958, LA LOMA 1959 and LA LAGUNA
all built by Bartram & Sons.
1960/1961 is the period of
the Dunkirk ore bulkers. At the same time four similar vessels
of 13.600 t dwt are launched at la Seyne; LA ESTANCIA, LA
SIERRA, LA PRIMAVERA and LA HORTENSIA.
LA SIERRA is equipped with
a Buhler bucket and conveyor-belt self discharging mechanism
suited for cereals and other related bulk cargoes.
In 1962, the 1961 built FRANCOIS
L-D is renamed LA HACIENDA.
In 1963, the FRANCOIS L-D,
the first large great lakes vessel of 24.000 t dwt is launched
at La Ciotat together with a sister-ship for B.M. : LA CHACRA,
subsequently renamed LAKE BIWA.
1965/1966 sees the launching
at Harland & Wolff of two gearless nine hatch 46.000 t
dwt vessels; LA ESTANCIA and LA SIERRA.
In 1969 two chemical tankers
2.400 t dwt, LA HACIENDA and LA QUINTA are launched at Wilton
1970 sees the launching at
Harland & Wolff of LA PAMPA 24.900 t deadweight, the first
Hagglund geared vessel for Gearbulk and the first one for
Gearbulk to be built in Europe.
In 1972 comes the first order
in Japan for a 245.000 t dwt, gearless ten hold bulker; LA
1973 is the year of unprecedented
diversification; a gas carrier with Moss and Rosenberg tanks
is launched at Stavanger for B.M.; the NORMAN LADY which enters
service in 1976 before being sold six years later to a Bermudan
Still in 1973, the ALAIN LD
is transferred to B.M. to become LA CORDILLERA.
In the ten years that follow
eight chemical tankers enter the Interchem fleet.
They are in 1974 LA BAHIA (1972)
and LA FALDA (1972) and in 1976 LA SELVA (1974), LA CUMBRE
(1975), two new vessels in 1976.: - LA COLINA and LA PRADERA
and finally in 1983 the SILVER MERLIN (1966) and SILVER FALCON
1974: -B.M. orders LA ENSENADA
39.000 t dwt, 5 holds Hagglunds cranes, in Japan for service
Three vessels of 39.000 t dwt
for Gearbulk will be delivered by Mitsui-Ichihara in 1978/1979;
LA COSTA, LA CORDILLERA, LA PRIMAVERA.
LA LOMA (1980) enters the fleet
in 1980 together with two 39.000 t dwt polish built vessels;
LA ESTANCIA and LA SIERRA for Gearbulk.
In 1981 and 1982, two gearless
panamax bulkers of 77.000 t dwt, LA PAMPA and LA CHACRA enter
In 1991 the capesize
vessel LA LOMA 113.000 t dwt built Japan 1979 joins the fleet.